Not everyone can always eat healthy all of the time. What’s more, the nutritional content of certain foods are not quite as robust as they used to be, due to soil degradation and other modern farming practices.
Vitamin D, Magnesium, and K2 are the most important supplements for your body, and most of the population is deficient in these essential vitamins and minerals.
These supplements should be taken by everyone every day.
Vitamin D3 – 1,000IU for every 25lbs you weigh per day according to the VitaminDCouncil.org (so for a person weighing 150 pounds, that’s 6,000 IU per day). My favorite brand is Life Extension, but I am looking for alternative options (this can get pricey fast, however)Magnesium – 240-360mg per day(preferrably taken at night). My favorite brand is Vitmain Research Products. It can be found on Amazon or at vrp.comVitamin K2 – 1,000 mcg of MK-4 and 200 mcg of MK-7 per day. My favorite brand is Life Extension.
To further enhance your health, choosing to supplement with these vitamins and minerals weekly will go a long way.
- Selenium – 1 pill
- Folinic Acid – 2 pills
- B12 – 1 chewable
- Zinc with copper
- Vitamin A (Cod Liver Oil) – if yours smells like fish, take at night so you don’t have fish breath all day
The following supplements can be used depending on personal needs. For example, certain supplements are known to enhance cognitive function and others hone in on certain vitamins, minerals, or other nutrients your body may need.
- Bulletproof coffee – alertness, improves short term memory, may help you perform mundane tasks better
- Aniracetam – cognitive enhancer to improve verbal memory, mitochondrial function, and increase oxygen in the brain
- Acetyl L-Carnitine – cognitive enhancer; neuroprotective; improves mitochondrial function
- Huperzine A – enhances memory, increases nerve growth, improves REM sleep
- Modafinil (modalert) – known as the limitless pill. Designed for night shift workers
Specific to Circumstance
- Astaxanthin – take 2-4 every day leading up to a large dose of sun exposure. Also known to help protect you from getting sick (note: I haven’t gotten sick this winter – 2017-2018 – since taking it and just about everyone is getting sick around around the workplace).
- Activated Charcoal – great for hangovers and removing toxins. I also sometimes take this when I have a big cheat meal.
- Creatine Monohydrate – aids in muscle recovery (before and after workouts)
- Cod Liver Oil
- Krill Oil – 200-400 mg of omega-3 complex per day. I use the Jarrow Formula’s brand.
- Iodine – work up to 8 scoops of kelp powder daily. Good for proper thyroid function. I’m currently using Now Foods Kelp Powder (up to 8 scoops daily), but am considering switching to a pill form by Pure Encapsulations, which are highquality capsules.