Below are some of my favorite apps that help keep me happy, healthy, and productive. Take a look and if you have any “must have” apps of your own, I would appreciate if you let me know by visiting my contact me page or adding them to the comments section.
Reducing Eye Strain
- Flux. (free) – this free app dims the brightness of your computer monitor once the sun sets in your area. This is great because bright blue lights late at night can jeopardize a good nights sleep. The app removes this problem and helps relieve eye strain.
- Pomodoro One. (free for Mac) – this app is helps you follow the Pomodoro technique, which is a cycle of 25-minute work sessions and 5-minute breaks designed to help you get more done. I’m also looking at Be Focused and ToMighty.
- Menubar Countdown. (free for Mac) – this is a customizable countdown timer app. Use this so your computer can alert you when you should stand up. I recommend doing that every 30-60 minutes.
- NotePlan – I’m a HUGE fan of this app. It’s really helped me focus and relax more, when it comes to productivity. You can find it on the mac App Store; there is also an iOS version (which I have as well). I really can’t say enough good things about this app.
- Dual-N-Back – increases IQ, memory, and REM sleep.
- Ulysses – this is my main writing app. I use this in conjunction with WordPress for writing blog post drafts, organizing my writing (at bat, on deck, in the hole), and even daily journaling.
- I’m also looking at Typora (currently free in Beta), which is an instant-update markdown editor recommended by a programming friend. I have a feeling I will fully transition over to this app.