Vitamin D, Magnesium, and K2 are the most important supplements for your body, and most of the population is deficient in these essential vitamins and minerals.
Vitamin D3 – 1,000IU for every 25lbs you weigh per day according to the VitaminDCouncil.org (so for a person weighing 150 pounds, that’s 6,000 IU per day). My favorite brand is Life Extension, but I am looking for alternative options (this can get pricey fast, however)
Magnesium – 240-360mg per day(preferrably taken at night). My favorite brand is Vitmain Research Products. It can be found on Amazon or at vrp.com
Vitamin K2 – 1,000 mcg of MK-4 and 200 mcg of MK-7 per day. My favorite brand is Life Extension.
Krill Oil – 200-400 mg of omega-3 complex per day. I use the Jarrow Formula’s brand.
Iodine – work up to 8 scoops of kelp powder daily. Good for proper thyroid function. I’m currently using Now Foods Kelp Powder (up to 8 scoops daily), but am considering switching to a pill form by Pure Encapsulations, which are high quality capsules.
- Vitamin A (Cod Liver Oil) – if yours smells like fish, take at night so you don’t have fish breath all day
- Astaxanthin – take 2-4 every day leading up to a large dose of sun exposure. Also known to help protect you from getting sick (note: I haven’t gotten sick this winter – 2017-2018 – since taking it and everyone is getting sick around me at work).
- Activated Charcoal – great for hangovers and removing toxins. I also sometimes take this when I have a big cheat meal.
Pre and Post-Workout
Creatine Monohydrate – aids in muscle recovery (before and after workouts)
My current favorite protein powder is Isopure unflavored. It doesn’t have any sugars, carbs, or any additive ingredients. At 25g of protein per scoop, it’s exactly what I need.
- Tea. Green Tea – antioxidants & low dose of caffeine, Turmeric, Ginger.
- Bulletproof Coffee – caffeine, fat for fuel
- Kombucha – great tasting paleo-friendly drink
- Milk. Whole milk, almond milk, coconut milk, hemp milk.
- Red Wine
- Beef Jerky – duh!
- Mixed Nuts – Trader Joe’s 50% less salt, dry roasted & salted (no peanuts!)
- Dark Chocolate – 70% or higher cacao
- Bulletproof coffee – alertness, improves short term memory, may help you perform mundane tasks better
- Aniracetam – cognitive enhancer to improve verbal memory, mitochondrial function, and increase oxygen in the brain
- Acetyl L-Carnitine – cognitive enhancer; neuroprotective; improves mitochondrial function
- Huperzine A – enhances memory, increases nerve growth, improves REM sleep
- Modafinil (modalert) – known as the limitless pill. Designed for night shift workers
- MCT Oil
- Coconut Oil – tropicaltraditions.com or 365 Organic
- Cod Liver Oil